Blogger PHW (drph_w)
A great run down this morning of the most interesting papers and guidelines in trauma and sepsis. Links included where able.
Age of Transfused Blood in Critically Ill Adults
- RCT transfuse younger blood
- No difference in outcome for bld stored less than 8 days old vs older bld
Transfusion of Plasma, Platelets, and Red Blood Cells in a 1:1:1 vs a 1:1:2 Ratio and Mortality in Patients With Severe Trauma
The PROPPR Randomized Clinical Trial
- Plasma plts RBC 1:1:1 vs 1:1:2
- No significant difference of mortality at 24 hrs and 30 days
The safety of early fresh, whole blood transfusion among severely battle injured at US Marine Corps forward surgical care facilities in Afghanistan
- Walking donors
- Appears safe and with reduced traumatic coagulopathy
Hypothermia for Intracranial Hypertension after Traumatic Brain Injury
- Multi RCT
- 387 TBI
- Intervention to treat with hypothermia 32-35 C
- Stopped early due to safety
Erythropoietin in traumatic brain injury (EPO-TBI): a double-blind randomised controlled trial
- EPO vs placebo in mod severe TBI
- No signif mortality effect
- No increase in DVT
Cervical spine collar clearance in the obtunded adult blunt trauma patient: a systematic review and practice management guideline from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma.
The medical response to multisite terrorist attacks in Paris
- A must read paper on the Paris terror attacks.